Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:15:43 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>>>Not what I did. I remember reading them all and thinking, "God what a
>>>boring fart" and "Hmmm. Could be moderately interesting". Sadly, I never
>>>had the epiphanous "I want this one!". But if you can't find the time to
>>>assess all aplicants, then you aren't doing your job properly, or you
>>>aren't phrasing the job advert carefully enough to limit replies to the
>>>vaguely plausible.
>>
>>I put out an advertisement that said "MUST have 9i or 10g RAC
>>experience." And the word "MUST" was in caps. Do you think that
>>discouraged those who could barely spell the acronym? Maybe in Oz
>>but no in America.
>

> I don't want to prolong this, but the point is that I would not have put in
> 'MUST have X' in the first place. That is limiting the pool of surprising
> talent you might get.

In the interest of brevity I snipped the balance and want to focus just on this. If the person is going to be expected to begin, day one, managing a RAC cluster. And if there are plenty of viable candidates that do have this experience ... and there were. Why would you waste your time interviewing people that wouldn't know a quorum file if it bit them on the lip?

You seem to be advocating investing time training people in place of finding people that have invested their own time and money in training themselves. That just doesn't compute for me. Surely the self-starters and self-motivated people that invest in their own skills are always going to be the best choice. Their actions speak far louder than other people's mere words.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington