Re: Oracle 9ias Server

From: Robert A.M. van Lopik <lopik_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:56:20 +0200

"Hans Forbrich" <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:jG0dd.20081$cr4.9172_at_edtnps84...
> Charles wrote:
>

>> Due to the application that Oracle released on this verion (Oracle
>> Clinical) we really don't have much of choice. Unfortunately due to
>> the fact that the version of Apache that comes with this, we would
>> like to setup a reverse proxy to hopefully protect the server from the
>> casual script kiddie and hacker. So you would recommend sticking with
>> the standard Apache 1.3 branch to accomplish this?
>
> I do NOT recommend sticking with the standard Apache 1.3 branch. I DO
> recommend, and strongly encourage, using the version that Oracle supplies
> and supports.

> /Hans

If I understand the OP right, he doesn't want to change the 9iAS configuration, he only wants to place an extra reverse proxy server between 9iAS (with its ownApache) and the users, for security reasons. He just happens to have chosen Apache 2.0 with mod_proxy for this purpose, but this function is often implemented in firewalls. Unfortunately I can't answer the question why 9iAS wouldn't work through a reverse proxy. It should, of course, because this happens at a very low http-level, and I certainly know of places wheer 9iAS is behind a hardware reverse proxy. My first idea, however, would be to turn of the Webcache in iAS and see what happens.

hth
rob van lopik Received on Tue Oct 19 2004 - 03:56:20 CDT