Re: Oracle 9ias Server

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:24:47 GMT

Charles wrote:

> Due to the application that Oracle released on this verion (Oracle
> Clinical) we really don't have much of choice. Unfortunately due to
> the fact that the version of Apache that comes with this, we would
> like to setup a reverse proxy to hopefully protect the server from the
> casual script kiddie and hacker. So you would recommend sticking with
> the standard Apache 1.3 branch to accomplish this?

I do NOT recommend sticking with the standard Apache 1.3 branch. I DO recommend, and strongly encourage, using the version that Oracle supplies and supports.

The fact that it happens to be derived from the Apache 1.3 branch is, in my mind, irrelevant. The fact that it is the supported version is relevant. Strangely enough, since Oracle supports it, you can ask them to provide assistance and patches.

It seems you might want to review what Oracle's App Server tech stack actually provides. Amusingly the Oracle-supplied Web Cache, which is also part of App Server 9i, is often touted as a reverse proxy, and I usually teach it as such.

I suggest you get your Oracle sales rep to bring in one or more core-tech presales consultants (instead of the usual functional consultants) to review the stack with you. You might be pleasantly surprised at what is actually there.

If you send me an off-list email with your general location, I might be able to recommend some additional sources of useful information.

/Hans Received on Mon Oct 18 2004 - 23:24:47 CDT