Re: ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:26:39 GMT

Praveen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm using oracle 10g in window XP system. java programmers will be
> accessing the database. Frequently they will get "ORA-12518:
> TNS:listener could not hand off" error and through sqlplus also i'll
> get this error. But, after sometime it works fine. I checked
> tnsnames.ora and listner.ora files entry. they seems to be ok. i have
> used system name itself for HOST flag instead of IP address. But still
> i'm getting this error.
>
> Can anybody tell me what might be the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen

From Oracle's error messages docco, we see

TNS-12518 TNS:listener could not hand off client connection

    Cause: The process of handing off a client connection to another process failed.

    Action: Turn on listener tracing and re-execute the operation. Verify that the listener and database instance are properly configured for direct handoff. If the problem persists, contact Oracle Support Services.

So what does the listener trace indicate?

/Hans Received on Fri Oct 08 2004 - 15:26:39 CDT