Re: Can I create a database via oracle client?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:09:33 +0200

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:38:09 +0200, Markus Innerebner <markusin_at_yahoo.de> wrote:

>Dear collegs,
>
>I want to know, if there is a way to create a database with sqlplus via
>oracle client. I realized the problem, that for the connection to the
>server it is mandatory the connectionString(hoststring) that contains an
>SID.
>That meens, that without an existing database, I am not able to get a
>connection to the oracle server via sqlplus.
>
>Is there a way, that I can do it.
>I would not do it with DBCA, because this should be done via a sql script.
>
>thanks
>
>best regards Markus

Obviously using a connection string won't work. It won't work because you will need to have an instance, and a listener listening for that instance.
The only way is to do it in sql*plus is *locally* *on the server* with *ORACLE_SID* set.

I'm getting curious: is there any particular reason, other than out of lack of knowledge, why you *insist* that you need to be capable to create *instances* (as opposed to databases) *on-the-fly*. Do you understand how Oracle implemented the *database* concept,ie not in the same fashion as sqlserver, as sybase, as informix, as db2? Probably not!

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA