Re: How to perform a health check?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2004 14:51:54 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0409302224.6d77ef36_at_posting.google.com>...
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1096593455.697285_at_yasure>...
>
> > Perhaps a bit terse on my part. But it does irritate me when someone
> > takes away an employment away from a competent person and then expects
> > that somehow they can reduce years of education and experience into
> > something they can get from a post to a usenet group.

> Ain't that what middle management does all the time?
> Heck, I keep going to sites where the middle damager
> asks me to help train the site's newbie dba.
> Length of the assignment: 2 days. Of course I can
> "train" them....

Yeah, I feel the same way as Daniel. But there is also a positive way to look at it, and that is stratification between Jr and Sr DBA work. Then the problem becomes convincing management they have Jr and need Sr DBA work and the 2-day DBA is BS. And that's a tough sell.

> > Guess it still riles me just a bit. ;-)
>
> Join the club.
> For years I've complained bitterly there are
> no standards anywhere to define what a dba job is
> and how to make sure one gets the right people
> for it. The result was the OCP. Which has
> ultimately resulted in people making posts like
> the OP.

http://www.orafaq.com/faqdbacv.htm (aside from the OCP blurb and interview questions) doesn't do it for you? Certainly better than the one at salary.com :)

But seriously, the faq seems to cover what I've seen, especially emphasizing the experience.

> Nowadays I don't care anymore. IT is FUBAR,
> quite frankly. Let the idiots dig their own grave.
> And if possible, provide a gentle push.

Or, become a "database consultant," with, uh, dynamically adjustable job description parameters. Seems to be a lot easier and more lucrative than "getting a job," for me. Seems to be the same actual work, and with the way US benefits have been going, not all that different. The hard part is reconciling the fact that a DBA must be familiar with the app, and that simply takes time. In practical terms, it means getting in with a particular skill, then showing deft handling of the database and its predictable issues.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Death of the Intermet, news at 11: