Re: installing multiple databases on one host

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:57:52 GMT

"Remigiusz Boguszewicz" <zebra640_at_poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:cjgpde$5a7$1_at_news.onet.pl...
> Hi,
>
> I am standing right now before a task to install many databases on one
> host. I know this is waste of resources and that all shoul be put to one
> instance and managed with different schemas - but please just leave the
> discussion asaid.
>
> I see three choises.
>
> 1. One Binary. Many databases. One oracle user to rule them all.
> - I change current database by changing ORACLE_SID
> - patch has to be applied against only one ORACLE_HOME, eventualy
> scripts has to be run on each database
> - patching is relatively simple, but with the risk that all databases
> will be out of service if something goes wrong
>
> 2. Multiple binaries. Each database - instance has its own oracle
> binary. One oracle user to rule them all.
> - I have to change ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME to switch between databases
> - patch has to be applied against each ORACLE_HOME, eventualy scripts
> has to be run on each database
> - patching is a bit more involving but I gain the ability to patch less
> critical databases and wait a while.
>
> 3. Multiple binaries. Each database - instance has its own oracle
> binary. Multiple users - each one is controling its own database.
> - even more 'secure' than 2. Each user has its own account, its own
> .profile so I always know on what database I am, can not mess with
> others databases. Every user has to launch its own listener thus on
> different ports.
> - as far as I know all database users has to share common group to
> access oracle inventory. I do not like the idea, because total
> separation of all databases would be nice, but well - what to do?
> - patching as in 2.
>
> Personaly I like nr 3. but till now was working with 1. Are there any
> gotchas? What with the inventory? What If I want to restore database on
> different host (in scenario 3.) - I need all that belongs to a certain
> user and? Inventory?
>
> Please comment. Perhaps there is more elegant, better approach to
> stuffing many databases on one host.
>
> Greetings
> Remigiusz Boguszewicz

I'd go with one except have separate environments (oracle homes) for different levels of service. We have development, test, and production. Test and Dev reside on the same box and could have different binaries.(currently they do not, but on a major upgrade from Oracle they are.) So work and changes go from development to test to production. (after testing at each step)
Jim Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 09:57:52 CDT