installing multiple databases on one host

From: Remigiusz Boguszewicz <zebra640_at_poczta.onet.pl>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:07:27 +0200

Hi,

I am standing right now before a task to install many databases on one host. I know this is waste of resources and that all shoul be put to one instance and managed with different schemas - but please just leave the discussion asaid.

I see three choises.

  1. One Binary. Many databases. One oracle user to rule them all.
    - I change current database by changing ORACLE_SID
    • patch has to be applied against only one ORACLE_HOME, eventualy scripts has to be run on each database
    • patching is relatively simple, but with the risk that all databases will be out of service if something goes wrong
  2. Multiple binaries. Each database - instance has its own oracle binary. One oracle user to rule them all.
    - I have to change ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME to switch between databases
    • patch has to be applied against each ORACLE_HOME, eventualy scripts has to be run on each database
    • patching is a bit more involving but I gain the ability to patch less critical databases and wait a while.
  3. Multiple binaries. Each database - instance has its own oracle binary. Multiple users - each one is controling its own database.
    - even more 'secure' than 2. Each user has its own account, its own
    .profile so I always know on what database I am, can not mess with others databases. Every user has to launch its own listener thus on different ports.
    - as far as I know all database users has to share common group to
    access oracle inventory. I do not like the idea, because total separation of all databases would be nice, but well - what to do?
    - patching as in 2.

Personaly I like nr 3. but till now was working with 1. Are there any gotchas? What with the inventory? What If I want to restore database on different host (in scenario 3.) - I need all that belongs to a certain user and? Inventory?

Please comment. Perhaps there is more elegant, better approach to stuffing many databases on one host.

Greetings
Remigiusz Boguszewicz Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 06:07:27 CDT