Re: update/select statement tuning help

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:14:26 GMT

Alan wrote:

> "Hans Forbrich" <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message

>> Alan wrote:
>>

>> > But I would also need to re-program my radio settings. This could take
>> > hours, and I would still be listening to the same music when I was
>> > done.

>> > guess it might sound a little better, or at least I would certainly
>> > feel better listening to it in my brand new car.
>> >

>> Guess radio setting are more important than the improved handling, the
>> ability to stick corners at higher speeds, the onboard engine monitor,
>> the
>> reduced cost related to better mileage, etc.  To each his own <g>

> I guess it's important to me as a driver, but in any event, I can't
> convince the car's owner that
> the new car is worth the expense, as the owner never drives the car. The
> owner asks me to run to the grocery store and pick up some milk. I get
> back in a reasonable amount of time, and the milk is still pretty cold, so
> he doesn't see the need.

As I said - because of the support agreement, the owner gets to upgrade the car at any time with no additional direct expense. And that means the driver makes a lot of the decisions - but needs to have the savvy (and desire) to help the owner come to the right conclusion.

For any non-professional drivers, lack of technical skill or knowledge keeps them from that. For some professional drivers, lack of communication skill, lack of enthusiasm or lack of political acumen, does the same.

Admittedly some owners will not listen - at which time many professionals will look elsewhere. But most owners WILL listen when told that the cost of fetching the milk is several times the cost of the milk itself - and then told there is a way to cut that cost.

The above does not imply your situation. I have, however, seen that several times in the computing industry.

>> Note that I DO understand the/your situation.  A lot of people (like
>> lurkers) don't and just tend to do the mythological Ostrich thing - I
>> like to bring the myth aspect to their attention.
>>

> I'm sure my situation is not unique.

It's not. Quite typical - especially since companies have been led to believe that computing, and computing profesionals, are commodities.

'tis an article of faith by most that Oracle is expensive, and Oracle upgrades are just more expense with little or no benefit. And it's a bad thing to tamper with a person's religion, isn't it? <g>

'nuff said?

/Hans Received on Mon Sep 27 2004 - 15:14:26 CDT