Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:50:11 GMT

Dick wrote:

> All,
> With Oracle 10g , It looks like the role of a DBA is getting
> diminished. I had a meeting with the Oracle Account manager for my
> Company and he said " Now the DBAs can do some creative stuff..Like more
> on development blah..blah..."
>
> Well, I think it's time to move on to some thing else like ..Aaahh
> ..Well .... been a DBA for 12 yrs...and aahhhh... may be the "creative"
> UNIX admin...or..
>
> Guys , What you all think ?
>
> Dick..

Been discussed in depth over at comp.database.oracle.server - search the archives over there.

My conclusion ... if someone is really, really, really interested in monitoring tablespace growth and handling rollback segment problems, there are lots of companies around that will stick with Oracle7 and Oracle8/8i for years to come.

For myself, it's more of an opportunity to start preaching at the design level. There are enough bad designs out there, like blind commits in loops (and of course, all those myths, like separate tablespaces for indexes vs tables) that will simply not fit the automatic tools. Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 18:50:11 CDT