Re: not able to shutdown the database, detached processes to terminate

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2004 17:16:33 -0700

yong321_at_yahoo.com (Yong Huang) wrote in message news:<b3cb12d6.0409150837.1872de59_at_posting.google.com>...
> yls177_at_hotmail.com (yls177) wrote in message news:<c06e4d68.0409141832.31024c3_at_posting.google.com>...
> > joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0409131256.3e661eba_at_posting.google.com>...
> > >
> > > Did you get anything in udump?
> > >
> > > jg
> >
> > i get the below
> >
> > "SHUTDOWN: waiting for detached processes to terminate."
> >
> > in my alert and trace files. And this happened again today.
>
> Joel asked you if you see anything in udump. Please answer.
>
> When you see that error in alert.log, can you still login as sysdba?
> If so, what're the sessions in the database? (select * from v$session
> where type = 'USER') Do you have a dbsnmp or any type of OEM
> connections? Try stopping all Oracle-related services before you
> shutdown the database service.

To the OP: I suspect some service already died, and that is why shutdown is waiting. udump is a separate directory with some trace files, is that where you saw the message? There may be something else in that file with more clues. Maybe you meant to shutdown an agent and shutdown the listener instead?

Of course, I don't know much about windows. But I have seen odd results with services dying and things still running, to the point of requiring a reboot after shutdown abort. There are definitely things that can't be killed from task manager (like imp in a batch file under task scheduler) that can be killed with kill.exe, even as system administrator. I wish I understood that.

> In any case, you can always shutdown abort to do back up. Just make
> sure you bring up the database one more time and shutdown cleanly.

Yes, also do that before a reboot if possible if you can't shutdown immediate.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Take the money and run.