Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:51:08 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> If only the Linux distributions would calm down a bit, to give Oracle a
> chance to support something! But by the time they announce Suse 9.1 is
> supported, Suse 10.2 will be on the market!!

From what I've heard - that is THE reason why Oracle (and RedHat, SuSE) had decided to limit support to the 'Enterprise' editions.

The way I tend to think of it - the SuSE Personal/Pro, the Fedoras, and so on are nothing other than beta tests for the next generation of enterprise versions. Put out 3 beta tests between each enterprise version - customers get a decent quality, CIOs get the stability they want, tech support are all trained up, etc.

I don't think there is any way the zealots are going to back down from the rapid cycle - they enjoy upgrades and tests for the sake of upgrades and tests. In the LUGs I attend, a number of the zealots have no idea what an application is (hey, Apache is a business application) or why a business might be concerned about testing - it's lets get the next upgrade and have fun!

I'd rather Oracle support the commercial 'desktop' editions even if they're a kernel rev or two behind. Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 17:51:08 CDT