Re: Open Source Oracle?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:33:43 +1000

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

[snip]

> Haven't been over to the SuSE NG in a bit, but I'm sure I'll see you
> there. Just installed 9.1 pro (no, I havent forgot about those cd's I
> mentioned to you awhile back, just cant get the cd1 copy to boot up!)

Sorry Glen... I *did* forget, and went out and purchased the set! And I'm *very* glad I did. Thanks for the thoughts though.

Now, if only Novell would hurry up and ship me their free, limited edition, boxed set of 9.1 and their Enterprise Server product! I applied for it weeks ago, and since then...

> and am more impressed with each version of SuSE for ease of installation
> and setup for things like local LAN connections, digital camera's etc..

Precisely. I had a list of about 20 things a Linux installation had to do for me, ideally out of the box... otherwise, with a minimum of re-configuration fuss. Mandrake managed 8. Fedora Core 2 managed 17 of them. Suse managed 19 (and doesn't get replaced with a new version every few months to boot!).

> Right now I'm waffling over installing 9i for "apples to apples"
> comparisons of cloned prod database's on W2K or go with 10G and play
> with it. I'm in the process of reading what I can about 10G on 9.1 to
> see what kind of "gotchas" I need to know about first.
>
> Here's another wish for your list, how's about Oracle supporting their
> product on desktop versions of at least RH and SuSE? If they are pushing
> linux so much would it not make sense that the Linux desktop's out there
> connecting to all these Linux servers will *not* be running SLESx or
> RHES but a desktop version?

Now *that* is a very good idea. (But having just done a 9i on RHAS3, which is a supported combination, I'm not sure it makes much practical difference sometimes!! Four patches required before a supported combination will work! They're joking, aren't they?? Unfortunately not).

If only the Linux distributions would calm down a bit, to give Oracle a chance to support something! But by the time they announce Suse 9.1 is supported, Suse 10.2 will be on the market!!

> The last course I took the instructor told
> the class that soon all classroom environment's were to be totally Linux
> in the near future,

In Australia, at least, they were saying that way back in (thinks....) about 2001. As of last week, their student PCs were all running... NT4. Service pack 3, which is even funnier.

I did hear one of the other instructors mention that there had been a trial rollout of Linux desktops for certain courses, but they weren't cleaning themselves at the end of courses for some reason. The next week's course was still finding crud left over from the previous one. But that's just the sort of teething trouble one might expect, and I'm sure they will make the transition some time quite soon.

In the meantime, they (again in Sydney at least) have switched nearly all their courses from using a backend Solaris machine to a Linux server. It works incredibly fast at times (I demonstrated a cold backup, which would take for ages on the Solaris machine as it ground its way through the 100MB SYSTEM data file. It took about 1 second on the Linux server... I had to check it had really worked, because it was too fast to be true. But it had.)

> I'm assuming that there it'd be desktop version's
> running the clients, if not the database itself in this case.
>
> cheers

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 15:33:43 CDT