Re: Oracle 9.2 - runInstaller hangs

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:39:04 +1000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Thomas Aichinger wrote:
>>

>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>I tryed to install oracle9.2.0.2 on a suse 2.4.21 kernel.
>>>I did as the doku said. Kernel parameters, oracle user account, add
>>>dba group, set DISPLAY ....
>>>
>>>When I start the runInstaller the universal installer 2.2 comes up
>>>with the welcome screen. There are serveral buttons (exit, help,
>>>installed products, previous, next, deinstall products and about)
>>>
>>>Nothing happens when I click on most buttons. Only "About" and
>>>"Deinstall" come up with a new window. All other buttons show no
>>>reaction.
>>>
>>>And I'm so keen to know what happens on "Next".
>>>
>>>Is there anyone who could help me?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Thomas

>> Red Hat Advanced Server 3 also comes with the 2.4.21 kernel out of the
>> box, and it's a royal pain in the bum to install 9i onto it. I don't know
>> if the same would be true for Suse with that kernel, but I suspect so.
>>
>> Anyway, the short answer (for RHAS3) is that you have to obtain 4 patches
>> from Metalink, one of which you have to install before you can even
>> invoke the Oracle Universal Installer, and the rest of which have to be
>> installed after the install completes (producing a number of link phase
>> errors on the way).
>>
>> Oh... and it then still won't work properly until you upgrade to 9.2.0.4,
>> which requires another patch from Metalink, this time a 362.9MB one.
>>
>> Did I mention you have to downgrade your gcc and g++ libraries too? No??
>> Well, you do.
>>
>> What fun we used to have as the installation took forever! What larks!!
>>
>> If you are interested in at least seeing how 9i gets sort-of installed on
>> RHAS3, on the grounds that with the same kernel it's likely to be true
>> for Suse too, then visit www.puschitz.com.
>>
>> And then the next couple of questions arise: are you really wedded to 9i,
>> or would 10g do? Because 10g goes straight on, no fuss, no worries.
>>
>> And if you really are going to insist on Oracle 9i, do you really have to
>> insist on Suse 9.0? Because 9i installs onto Suse 7.3 no fuss, no
>> worries, too. I realise that's a geriatric distro, but it at least works.
>>
>> It's just the particular combination you seem to be after that is do-able
>> but is simultaneously a pain in the posterior.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> That's true of 9.2.0.4. Have you looked at 9.2.0.5 yet?

Ah. No, I haven't (I've moved onto grid like things instead of mucking about with that archaic version!!)

So you're saying that with 9.2.0.5 things get a lot easier? I simply install 9.2.0.1 and then apply 9.2.0.5 and it all just works?

If so... well, on RHAS3, you can't actually install 9.2.0.1 in the first place without previously applying the first of the four patches I mentioned. So 9.2.0.5 wouldn't help much there.

But yes, if it's now just a question of patching something twice instead of four times, that is at least a 50% improvement!!

Regards, somewhat cynically I admit,
HJR Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 15:39:04 CDT