Re: bouncing the database from the client's PL*SQL

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:18:16 GMT

"Miori" <cattorayye_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:688106d8.0409080425.1df5a99_at_posting.google.com...
> Dear all,
> Server machine running Oracle Database Server on Linux
> and a Client machine running Oracle Client on WIndows XP.
>
> HOw it is possible to shut down/start up the Oracle database
> on the server from SQL*Plus of the client. I know it can be done from
> SQL*Plus of the server but the point is that I want to do it from
> SQL*Plus of the Client.
> Many many thnx for any tips,
> Miori

As Sybrand said this is generally a bad idea.

It needs orapwd, remote_login_password='EXCLUSIVE', grant sysdba to whomever?

While you are at it why not set remote_os_authenitcation = true and open your listener port directly to the internet.

Seriously though, I know that are some apps that need this stuff (RMAN for one?), but
it is better to avoid this configuration unless there is a real business reason. Received on Sat Sep 11 2004 - 19:18:16 CDT