Re: MTS and Memory

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:19:14 +1000

Dave wrote:

> We have two gigs of ram in the box and currently 1.2 gig is being used,
> 900meg allocated to the SGA. So I would think that I could push
> another 2-300 megs to the SGA (large pool specifically) so I can handle
> more users.
>
> The reason we switched to MTS is because we estimated that the database
> could only handle 535ish dedicated connections. We expect a peak of
> over 600.
>
> The problem isn't within the application its the number of users and OS
> limitations... You don't need to lecture me on their choice of OS, i've
> already lectured them.

Sounds like another case of Voodoo Tuning.

Why not find out some *facts* before thinking your way to more memory allocations?

And maybe you could let the group in on some of your factual secrets, such as the minor details as to what this particular OS they've chosen is, and what Oracle version they are running.

Then, you might usefully ask

What's the busy rate on your dispatchers? What's the busy rate on your shared servers?

And then one might diagnostically enquire as to how many ORA-04031 errors you've been receiving lately (and if the answer is none, then you don't need a bigger large pool).

HJR Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 14:19:14 CDT