Re: Problems with Oracle 10g EM

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:07:12 +0200

On 6 Sep 2004 08:05:54 -0700, mig_r_c_at_hotmail.com (MIKE) wrote:

>I cannot launch Enterprise Manager Console. When I do
>
>emctl start dbconsole
>
>it says me "oracle_sid variable not defined" aand in the registry it
>appears like "orcl". I am running with W2000 Server and SP3. Another
>question: it is neccesary to have a net connection to launch EM (cause
>I haven't at the moment)? I have read in other posts about a loopback
>adapter. Can anybody say me a bit more about this?
>
>Thanx to all.

OEM requires a tcp/ip connection.
A loopback connection is a connection to a host called localhost which is always defined as 127.0.0.1
You need to have the following line
127.0.0.1 localhost
in your hosts file
and in your tnsnames.ora you need to have a service_name definition which uses (host=localhost) in it's connect_data section.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA