Re: Create Database Script..

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:51:14 -0700

Arijit Chatterjee wrote:

> Dear All,
> I am trying to create a Database through commandline.
> Each and everyline is explained over here.But I am
> getting no output as well as no errors.
> PlatForm Windows 2003(OS)
> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition 8.1.7.0.0

Here is your first problem. You're using a very old database version on an operating system it was never designed for. You can expect fireworks.

> CREATE DATABASE tempdb
> CONTROLFILE REUSE
And do you actually have a control file that you want over-written? No?? If not, why are you using syntax that asks to do precisely that? Get rid of it.

> LOGFILE 'E:\Oracle\oradata\tempdb\redo01.log' SIZE 1M REUSE,
> 'E:\Oracle\oradata\tempdb\redo02.log' SIZE 1M REUSE,
> 'E:\Oracle\oradata\tempdb\redo03.log' SIZE 1M REUSE,
> 'E:\Oracle\oradata\tempdb\redo04.log' SIZE 1M REUSE

The sizes for the redo logs are just way too small. Make them 10M minimum. Each. And lose the REUSE keyword.

> DATAFILE 'E:\Oracle\oradata\tempdb\system01.dbf' SIZE 10M REUSE

The minimum useful size for an 8i system datafile is in the order of 50 to 80M. So start out with that, not 10M. Are you over-writing a previous system datafile? No?? Then get rid of the REUSE keyword that asks to do just that.

> AUTOEXTEND ON
> NEXT 10M MAXSIZE 200M
You must never set a maximum size for the system data file. It must be allowed to get as big as it wants to get.

> ARCHIVELOG
It is a bit ambitious to want to put a database into archivelog mode from the word go. Lose this line, and worry about getting a working database at all before you start finessing things by getting concerned about future recoverability.

> CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1
> NATIONAL CHARACTER SET UTF8;
You have some very dubious init.ora parameters, too:

> db_block_buffers = 100 # INITIAL

That, for example, is a pathetic memory allocation. Bump it up to 2000 immediately.

> shared_pool_size = 3500000 # INITIAL

Likewise, set this one to 64000000 (that's 64 million).

> large_pool_size = 614400
> java_pool_size = 20971520

Are you actually going to use Java in the database? If not, set this one to zero.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Sep 03 2004 - 00:51:14 CDT