Re: SQL Server 2000 Migrate to Oracle

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2004 22:06:21 -0500

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 30 Aug 2004 14:59:06 -0500, Galen Boyer
> <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:

>>It looks like they made a decision long ago, which at the time
>>might have been a fine one, but today is an annoyance, at best.

> Apparently you still don't realise how tables are implemented
> on a technical level. How do you compensate for a bigger row
> directory? Any answer to this?

I don't understand how the name of a table has anything to do with this, but I'm sure I'll get some RTFM from you. Your previous, "see the Appendix" still didn't point me in the direction of where this limitation actually originated from, so I'm still barking at some newsgroup tree I guess. But, I bet I'm pretty much on the right track. Here's my conjecture, at the time the decision was made, 30 characters was thought to be plenty, and probably was a fine decision. Now, to fix it would mean modifying some code deep in the guts of Oracle and probably just far too expensive. Am I annoyed enough as a customer to want to pay extra to have it fixed? No. Am I going to sit and read people author that 30 characters is plenty and they are actually glad Oracle made the decision it did without chiming in my disagreement? No.

> And yes, I definitely agree with Howard, you are overreacting.

Overreacting to what? Howard's response or Oracle's limitation?

If its Howard's, maybe. If its Oracle's limitation? Well, I just disagree with somebody stating that it is a positive limitation.

> I also don't agree with you it is an annoyance. If you really
> think it is an annoyance, why don't you switch to a 'better'
> product,

What a huge leap. An annoyance means I'm supposed to switch products? Jeeesh...

> or -better still- file an enhancement request with Oracle.
> This is not the place to start flaming about the techical
> decsisions Oracle made in the past. And your contribution
> definitely qualifies as flame.

How could calling something an annoyance/limitation be called a flame? Whom/what am I flaming anyways? I'm a customer and developer of this fantastic product. If I call something about it an annoyance/limitation, I see no problem, at all.

--
Galen Boyer