Re: Migrating C/S Tux app to Oracle 9iAS web-app.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 15:17:30 -0700

farooq.mustafa_at_gmail.com (FM) wrote in message news:<273b0f90.0408230653.1673a48_at_posting.google.com>...
> We are in the process of migrating a client / server application using
> tuxedo 6.5 to the web using Oracle 9i AS. Our concern is with
> transaction processing, whether the app-server is able to handle lots
> of heavy duty transactions. How does the queueing get handled ? How do
> even begin to research a topic like this ?
>
> Any comments / advice ?
>
> Thanks

You must be aware that 9iAS is layered upon the database. The database is aware of transactions, and is able to handle heavy duty transactions. There are many parts to AS, and some of them are heavy duty and some are not. All require some way to talk to the db, and many require intercomputer communication beyond that. It is difficult to say whether your idea of heavy will be overwhelmed by the scalability issues of various architectures, which necessarily are hard to predict for various scenarios.

You should probably first become familiar with the way the Oracle db handles transactions, start with the Concepts Guide, and books and websites by Tom Kyte are useful too.

Here's some other interesting info:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/03-nov/o63dev_web.html
http://portalstudio.oracle.com/pls/ops/docs/FOLDER/COMMUNITY/OTN_CONTENT/MAINPAGE/ARCHITECTURE/IMPLEMENTING%20MY%20ORACLE.PDF
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/docs/102WP2.PDF