Re: Session distribution on 9i RAC

From: Steffen Roegner <sroegner_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:11:02 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Steffen Roegner wrote:
>

>>Howard,
>>
>>We are talking about one node out of that I want to prevent from
>>registering with remote listeners here.

> I understand that. It's called a 'spare node configuration', and as I said,
> the only way to do it when instances are > 2 is to not set the
> remote_listener parameter for the spare node(s) (and also make sure no
> client tnsnames.ora files make reference to the spare node(s) directly, of
> course).

We have exactly one client making direct reference to this spare node - this is our batch processing using ORACLE_SID. Would you consider this to be wrong (although it works for us in our attempt to dedicate the node)?

> In other words, you can make a spare node either by feeding it useless and
> incorrect information about where, remotely, to register (which is what you
> did). Or you can not give it any information about remote locations at all
> (which is what I was trying to say was the better way of proceeding).

Now I get the point (sorry for being that slow). And I did not unveil all of the configuration information because I had no idea of what was important to know ...

In the tnsnames.ora we also have this entry

LISTENERS_RAC =
   (ADDRESS_LIST =

     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node1)(PORT = 1521))
     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node2)(PORT = 1521))
     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node3)(PORT = 1521))
     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node4)(PORT = 1521))
   )

and as you might know already, 'LISTENERS_RAC' is the value of my REMOTE_LISTENER Parameter. When I removed the single entries of the remote listeners, I did the same for this address list on node4, which now only consists of node4. I think I will reset that value as you recommended.

> Remote_listener, *at the moment*, does NOT work like that: you can (and have
> done, if I read your last post correctly) set remote_listener to complete
> nonsense. That has the same effect as not setting it at all (because the
> spare node doesn't now know how to find the other listeners to register
> with), but it is not strictly kosher.

LISTENERS_RAC =
   (ADDRESS_LIST =
     (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node4)(PORT = 1521))    )

This is what we currently have for REMOTE_LISTENER on node4 - I did not like that too much either ...

Thank you for waisting time on this
Steffen

--
... Steffen Roegner, Oracle dba