Re: Session distribution on 9i RAC

From: Steffen Roegner <sroegner_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:43:32 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
  > It amounts to the same thing, I guess. But you are relying on an error not
> causing drama. If, for example, you set LOCAL_LISTENER=ABC, and "ABC" is
> not an entry in your tnsnames.ora, then boring old single-instance Oracle
> cannot actually start up. It throws an error complaining about the
> inability to resolve the service name (which it needs to do to find the
> local listener you told it to register with).
>
> Now clearly, Oracle have decided that remote listener registrations,
> obviously at the mercy of networking links that might be down, should not
> be policed so rigorously.
>
> But that could just have been an oversite on their part, too. And one they
> might fix in a future release... at which point, your workaround won't work
> any longer!
>
> So whilst your tnsnames.ora method works, it's not "proper", and can't be
> considered reliable as a result.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Howard,

We are talking about one node out of that I want to prevent from registering with remote listeners here. I have LOCAL_LISTENER set to sth. like LISTENER_NODE4 as this is the regarding entry in the local tnsnames.ora. What would be an appropriate entry in REMOTE_LISTENER? I do not want the instance to remotely register and the value is supposed to be a 'network_name' so I think it has to remain empty right?

Best regards
Steffen

--
... Steffen Roegner, Oracle dba