Re: Fine point of DBMS_SQL, and PLSQL.

From: Roger Redford <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2004 05:42:55 -0700

I'm assuming that you mean to use many rows, in a many table. One row for each question/response.
As opposed to many fields in a single table.

Actually, the design started that way. But then I calculated that it might be possible to have up to 800 million rows in the many tables. For one campaign! It would be too much work on the system for fast retrieval. Queries would be really complex.

So I used a DWH type design instead. This way, you can now get back in single pass, who voted x for question 1, y for 2, etc. By zip code and other variables. Etc.

It was a great design question.