Re: Fine point of DBMS_SQL, and PLSQL.

From: Adrian Billington <billiauk_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 19 Aug 2004 00:55:53 -0700

Unfortunately you cannot reference record arributes or their values dynamically from outside the scope of your current plsql module. Without me going into the questions of why your tables are designed in such a way, I think that what you might want to look at is building a dynamic PL/SQL block, rather than lots of individual statements. My suggestion would be to build the PL/SQL block using the information you have available to you (such as the columns in the target table) and including bind variables, then execute the dynamic PL/SQL, supplying the bind variables ( the various substr operations you show ).

Sorry I don't have more time to expand on this, but you can find examples of dynamic PL/SQL in Feuerstein's books or on asktom.oracle.com.

Regards
Adrian Received on Thu Aug 19 2004 - 02:55:53 CDT