Re: 2GB Problem with Oracle 8.0.5 an Windows 2000 Server

From: Dani Speh <d.speh_at_donau-touristik.at>
Date: 19 Aug 2004 01:15:52 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:<4g47i0tg3vfgdl02s9uldekg3qk9ttj102_at_4ax.com>...
> On 18 Aug 2004 08:05:37 -0700, d.speh_at_donau-touristik.at (Dani Speh)
> wrote:
>

> You badly need to read the export documentation in the Oracle Server
> Utilities manual. Indexes are not exported at all, they are recreated
> during import. The size of your indexfile is not a concern.

I didn't say that I make a backup.I make an export to have data for tests on a test db. I know that Oracle 8 is very old and I really want upgrade to 9i or 10g but the vendor of the software says it works good on 8 and why upgrade then.

> The compress option doesn't compress the dump file, but it does make
> sure tables with multiple extent will be recreated as a table with a
> single extent.
> You can safely forget about the compress option : it won't work.
Yes , this option didn't work.
But I find another way to import my DB. If anyone is interested here the solution:

It works when you create the tablespace prior to the import. The reason is , that that import gives the size in bytes. I made a script where i give the size in M an this works.I start the scrip prior to the full import with svrmgr. Then i make a full import with ignore=y. There ist still the error but now I have the indexfile an no other errors occur. It's not elegant , but it's a solution what will do it for the time till we upgrade.
If you have any concerns to this solution , please post.

Thank you for the help. This are arguments to upgrade the db