index substr()

From: dead <OVOIZBACI-vlasic_at_vodatel.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:54:40 +0200

Hello
is there any posibility that I have problem in performance with Oracle if on one main table have index on "substr(fieldx,4)". Table have 1.000.000 records. I put one day this index because our application always looking for last part of that field ( first I had looking for "fieldx like "____value'" and then I change in application on "substr(fieldx,4) = 'value'" and it was faster), and after one day I had problem with aplication connect to oracle database, and when I first restart listener and laiter removed that index, this start to work fine.
thanks Received on Tue Aug 10 2004 - 01:54:40 CDT