Re: index substr()

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 10 Aug 2004 05:00:12 -0700

"dead" <OVOIZBACI-vlasic_at_vodatel.net> wrote in message news:<cf9rhm$rv6$1_at_sunce.iskon.hr>...
> Hello
> is there any posibility that I have problem in performance with Oracle if on
> one main table have index on "substr(fieldx,4)". Table have 1.000.000
> records. I put one day this index because our application always looking for
> last part of that field ( first I had looking for "fieldx like "____value'"
> and then I change in application on "substr(fieldx,4) = 'value'" and it was
> faster), and after one day I had problem with aplication connect to oracle
> database, and when I first restart listener and laiter removed that index,
> this start to work fine.
> thanks

The presence of a function based index would have no bearing on the ability of the program to connect to Oracle.

If the performance of the query suddenly changed then you should have ran an explan plan or a trace to see how Oracle was processing the query.

It is very difficult from your post to determine exactly what you are asking for help about.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Aug 10 2004 - 07:00:12 CDT