Re: done something dumb!

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:43:12 +1000

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:01:46 GMT, Tom <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com> wrote:

>> I'm somewhat 9i ignorant as we still haven't made the switch, but how
>> did
>> you open the database without online redo logs? Did you recreate them by
>> opening the database with RESETLOGS option? Or haven't you shut down the
>> instance since this happened? If not I would do a "backup controlfile to
>> trace" ASAP. In a pinch you'lll be able to recreate the controfiles from
>> that if you need to. The missing online logs shouldn't be a problem as
>> long as you can do a normal shutdown on the instance. They can be
>> recreated with RESETLOGS when you open the database the next time.
>
> thanks for the replies - This was thankfully on dev and not production -
> the
> db was still running as i had not shutdown the instance since deleting
> all
> control files and online redo - They are multiplexed to 3 locations but
> that
> does not stop one deliberately (by accident) deleting them.

It doesn't, that's true. But you would have had to have issued three complete separate rm or del commands to do the deed, which is unlikely to happen by accident, I would suggest. Either that, or the multiplexing hasn't been done properly (for example, you can have three copies of one log in C:\oradata. A del *.log would indeed wipe out all three in one hit. But having three copies of the same file in one directory on one disk isn't actually proper multiplexing in the first placce).

Care to elaborate how in fact it was done?

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Aug 09 2004 - 16:43:12 CDT