Re: done something dumb!

From: Tom <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:31:35 +0100

> It doesn't, that's true. But you would have had to have issued three
> complete separate rm or del commands to do the deed, which is unlikely to
> happen by accident, I would suggest. Either that, or the multiplexing
> hasn't been done properly (for example, you can have three copies of one
> log in C:\oradata. A del *.log would indeed wipe out all three in one hit.
> But having three copies of the same file in one directory on one disk
> isn't actually proper multiplexing in the first placce).

Sure - Scenario is dev box contains dev instance and tape drive. Another box is test box. I wanted to recreate a live instance on the test box for erm testing.

Live RMAN backup sits on tape. So i put tape into dev box and extract required files for recovery into directory called recover - Phone rings, some form of emergency so go and sort that out. Come back do an ls and see my files ready and waiting.

On test box i have previously restored this same instance and so i have to remove those remenents first. So i start with the control and online redo.

$ rm -f /u03/oradata/instancename/* && rm -f /u05/oradata/instancename/* && rm -f /u04/oradata/instancename/*

AGGRRRRRRR - as you can see i never changed ternimal from the dev box to the test box after getting the files off tape and so i actually nuked the control files and the online redo from the dev box.

So although very unlikely to happen it just goes to show it can actually happen and i am performing 'propper' miltiplexing even on a dev box. At least by me it seems! Anyway i restored the live instances to both boxes in the end and everything is OK.

So remember - ALLWAYS CHECK YOUR TERMINAL!

thanks Received on Tue Aug 10 2004 - 03:31:35 CDT