Japanese Characters on Win 2000 machine

From: Ankur <ankurgupta26_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Aug 2004 08:45:36 -0700

My application has been developed using VB6 as front end and Oracle 8 as database server. It uses OO40 to access the database.

We have set the following NLS_LANG values in the registry for Windows 2000. But it does not support Japanese character set.

They appear correctly when entered however when retrieved from the database they appear as questions marks in the application. However MS Word correctly displays the Japanese characters after saving on Windows 2000

The registry setting on Win 2000 is -

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle]

"NLS_LANG"="AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle\HOME0]
"NLS_LANG"="AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8" However, on Windows XP we have the same NLS_LANG values in the registry and the application supports Japanese as well as english/french and special characters like - Alt + 0130 to Alt + 0160

The version of Oracle client on Win Xp and Win 2000 is same - 8.1.6.4.

Can you please let us know the registry setting for Windows 2000 machine so that it supports Japanese characters as well english/french and special characters like - Alt + 0130 to Alt + 0160

I belive the problem is with Oracle and not certain settings on Windows 2000 as Word application is able to display and save Japanese characters. Received on Mon Aug 09 2004 - 10:45:36 CDT