Re: Japanese Characters on Win 2000 machine

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 10 Aug 2004 08:54:59 -0500

On 9 Aug 2004, ankurgupta26_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> My application has been developed using VB6 as front end and
> Oracle 8 as database server. It uses OO40 to access the
> database.
>
> We have set the following NLS_LANG values in the registry for
> Windows 2000. But it does not support Japanese character set.

W2K does or does not support Japanese character set? My guess is you have to get a version of W2K that does.

> They appear correctly when entered however when retrieved from
> the database they appear as questions marks in the
> application.

How do you know this? What are you retrieving them with? SQLPlus, Toad, ... The point is that those tools need to support these UTF8 bytes as well.

> However MS Word correctly displays the Japanese characters
> after saving on Windows 2000

Well, MSWord could just be saving and displaying a character version of these japanese characters, not the true UTF8 bytes.

> The registry setting on Win 2000 is -
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle]
> "NLS_LANG"="AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle\HOME0]
> "NLS_LANG"="AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8"
>
> However, on Windows XP we have the same NLS_LANG values in the
> registry and the application supports Japanese as well as
> english/french and special characters like - Alt + 0130 to Alt
> + 0160
>
> The version of Oracle client on Win Xp and Win 2000 is same -
> 8.1.6.4.
>
> Can you please let us know the registry setting for Windows
> 2000 machine so that it supports Japanese characters as well
> english/french and special characters like - Alt + 0130 to Alt
> + 0160

My guess is that W2K doesn't have support for it built in and you need to purchase a version of that OS that does.

> I belive the problem is with Oracle and not certain settings on
> Windows 2000 as Word application is able to display and save
> Japanese characters.

If, on XP, Oracle doesn't have an issue, then why should Oracle have an issue on W2K?

--
Galen Boyer