Re: How to move tablespace from IASDB to Ora92

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:37:51 GMT

Les Noll wrote:

> Let me see if I can clarify. There are two Oracle instances on our
> machine:
> IASDB and OEMREP. The tablespace I want to move is in IASDB and contains
> only our user data. I want to create an Ora92 database instance and move
> the tablespace from the application server instance to this new database
> instance. Once the instance is created, I can export the tablespace and
> import it into the new instance. I am unsure how to go about creating a
> new
> instance, though.. We also have Reports Builder reports defined against
> the
> data in this tablespace, and scheduled to run on regular intervals. I'm
> not
> sure how to get the reports to point to the tables in th enew database.
> As I'm writing this, it sounds like it should be fairly straight forward
> but this is an online system and I don't want to screw it up.

I certainly understand your concern. And I'm a bit hesitant to say 'go ahead' since I can't see your system and confirm your statements .... and I don't want you cursing [me] unnecessarily <g>

I suggest you slow down a bit and get quite comfortable with creating databases, etc. A good online tutorial for the WIndows environment is a http://otn.oracle.com/obe (Oracle By Example), which walks you through the detailed 'install s/w, create database, startup/associate/shutdown instance' steps using screen shots.

You ultimately want to use DBCA (Database Configuration Assistant) to create the new database. Then I'd suggest using OEM to add the new tablespace, export from the IASDB, import to 'newdb', etc.

Pointing "Reports" to a new database-instance should be possible either by changng the SID or Service when starting the report or by changing the TNSNAMES.ora (or whatever naming technique you are using) to associate the service request to the new instance.

No matter what - test and check before doing anything to the live system!

If you post your location (eg: city) you might be able to get an experienced local DBA willing to mentor you ... your willingness to ask and check is the kind of attitude desired by many mentors.

G'Luk
/Hans Received on Thu Aug 05 2004 - 17:37:51 CDT