Re: How to update myself to the newer versions?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2004 15:26:49 -0700

wolfing1_at_yahoo.com (Rod) wrote in message news:<cd1ce734.0408040747.74978cd3_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi. I've been working as Oracle DBA in one way or another for the
> last 11 or so years. I started with Oracle 6, and then 7.1 and for
> the last 3 years or so, 7.3.4 with the same company.
> Now I'm resigning, but the market will probably want me more if I have
> some knowledge of the newer versions of Oracle (what's the last one,
> 11?).
> So, any good books or online courses or documents that can show me
> what has been added in the newer versions?

Hans explanation was pretty good, but no one seems to have mentioned that in the online docs there are upgrade and new feature manuals that have concise and accurate descriptions of what is new. I suppose you are supposed to figure out that if you type in "new features" at tahiti you get things like
http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.show_toc?partno=a96531&remark=drilldown&word=new+features http://www.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.show_toc?partno=a76962&remark=drilldown&word=new%2Bfeatures . Also, see dizwell.com.

Also recommend Jonathan Lewis' book.

Don't really recommend the OCP stuff, as it has some inaccuracies and an unrealistic distribution of what features are useful. Although, it could help get your foot in the door past an hr department that worries about keywords. Google this group for the various flame wars about it.

Also, in reality, many software packages really don't use much in the way of new features, so you may very well find a situation of some place on 8i that still uses RBO or whatever, and can learn a lot as you drag them into this century.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Hackers!  http://www.tomshardware.com/business/200408021/index.html