Re: How to move tablespace from IASDB to Ora92

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 03:01:30 GMT

Ana C. Dent wrote:

> "Les Noll" <lnoll_at_netnitco.net> wrote in
>

>> We have Oracle 9.2 and Application Server.  We got our Oracle server
>> delivered with the user tablespace in the app server database (IASDB).
>>  We would like to move this out to a database of its own.  I believe
>>  it is
>> correct to say there is not currently an Oracle database on the
>> machine, other than the app server db.  How would I go about doing
>> this? Thanks for the help.
>> +Les

> IIRC, for 9iAS R2 you can't move any part of it to a new machine and
> expect it to continue to work.

Not quite.

9iASR2 involves several repositories - DCM metadata, SSO/OID and potentially Portal (amongst others). Those can not be moved to another machine, or even to another instance. The related tablespaces can be transplanted, but it's far easier to simply leave them alone (other than the standard 'RENAME DATAFILE' stuff).

However 'user' data (such as the HTMLDB, Discoverer, Forms or Reports data) can be freely moved using typical techniques such as export/import provided all service references are identified and appropriately updated. Not necessarily an easy task, though, if a DBA hasn't been around to identify and document it all along.

Without seeing the actual config, whether there is any farming or clustering happening, or even what companents are instaled/involved, it's quite difficult to advise. Also, I'm not sure what the OP is attempting to accomplish from a business perspective.

/Hans Received on Wed Aug 04 2004 - 22:01:30 CDT