Re: How to update myself to the newer versions?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:35:04 GMT

Rod wrote:

> Hi. I've been working as Oracle DBA in one way or another for the
> last 11 or so years. I started with Oracle 6, and then 7.1 and for
> the last 3 years or so, 7.3.4 with the same company.
> Now I'm resigning, but the market will probably want me more if I have
> some knowledge of the newer versions of Oracle (what's the last one,
> 11?).
> So, any good books or online courses or documents that can show me
> what has been added in the newer versions?

A few things have changed since Oracle Server 7.

Suggestions:

  1. http://otn.oracle.com gives a fair bit of marketing info about the changes. Boring perhaps, but a decent overview of what's changed and what Oracle has put front-and-center in customers' minds.
  2. http://docs.oracle.com gives access to the complete library of all Oracle docs. The Concepts Manual and the DB Administrators' Guide are mandatory reading. Skimmed to see what's the same and read for the differences.
  3. Although geared toward developers, I recomend Thomas Kyte's "Effective Oracle by Design". Together with his "Expert One On One Oracle" it gives a set of tools for benchmarking and troubleshooting which we DBAs should know, 'cause the developers will ask "why does this happen"
  4. Significant things to focus on: - RMAN for semi- to fully-automated backup & recovery at any level (including block); - Enterprise Manager for a GUI wrapper around most of our commands and really can make our lives easier if understood; - DBMS_JOBS, UTL_SMTP, UTL_HTTP (found in the Supplied PL/SQL Procedures manual) for a 'decent' job scheduler and assorted utlities we are expected to understand; - CBO - since the Rule Based Optimizer simply does not handle some things (for example, IIRC BitMap Indexes & Partitioning are not recognized by RBO) and RBO will be dead soon; - sqlplus has absorbed all of svrmgrl functionality; - spfile and dynamic settings replaces the static pfile stuff.
  5. Examples & self-paced tutorials from http://otn.oracle.com/obe and online computer-based training at a reasoable cost at http://education.oracle.com >> Onine Library

HTH
/Hans Received on Wed Aug 04 2004 - 21:35:04 CDT