Re: stored procedures?

From: Mike <mikee_at_mikee.ath.cx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:00:39 -0000

In article <cdo2jb$bo5$1_at_nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com>, Volker Hetzer wrote:

> "Mike" <mikee_at_mikee.ath.cx> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:10fu28eis4i8udf_at_corp.supernews.com...

>> That's funny, thank you. The cobol is not my choice. The company
>> has many (1000's?) of existing cobol programs. If I can get
>> this to work with oracle on the mainframe and then eventually
>> oracle on mid-tier, I get the joy of teaching mainframers how
>> to use vi.

> vi? Do you really think they are ready for such new fangled stuff?
>
> Greetings!
> Volker

One option is to move the data from VSAM to Oracle, then sometime in the future move the applications from CICS/COBOL to something closer to the data. If the apps are moved to COBOL on Unix (Microfocus COBOL maybe) then most likely the developers must use vi for their editor and shell scripts for their JCL. If that happens it will be fun :( to teach these people 'you don't understand, the pound-bang at the beginning of line one of your shell script is magic and must be there' type stuff.

Mike Received on Thu Jul 22 2004 - 07:00:39 CDT