Re: stored procedures? ++ java

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:16:40 -0400

Austin wrote:
| > Mike wrote:
| >> I have used oracle's pl/sql in the past for stored procedures. I
| >> was asked yesterday to explain what stored procedures are and I
| >> wondered are there other languages that are supported for stored
| >> procedures in oracle as they are in postgres? Meaning postgres
| >> supports it's internal procedural language, and java, and perl,
| >> and tcl. I know oracle supports its own internal procedural
| >> language and I think also java. Does it also support something
| >> like cobol?
| >>
| >> Mike
| >
| > internal stored procedures are PL/SQL only. You can create sharable
library
| > external procedures that can be in any language (not scripting - but
3GL) as
| > long as they can be a shared library/dll. TCL and Perl are Scripting
languages
| > that are not compiled. I have not worked a lot with Java, and do not
recall off
| > the top of my head if it can create a shared library/dll or not
| >
| > a quick google search for "oracle external" results in several hits
including:
| ><< http://www.hk8.org/old_web/oracle/prog2/ch21_03.htm >>
| >

| Thanks both to you and Volker for your replies.
|
| Mike

from page 1-8 Oracle9 i Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals

"Overview of Java Stored Procedures, JDBC, and SQLJ

"Oracle9i embeds the OracleJVM, a J2SE 1.3-compliant JVM. Oracle can store Java
classes and execute them inside the database, as stored procedures and triggers.
These classes can manipulate data, but cannot display GUI elements such as AWT
or Swing components. Running inside the database allows these Java classes to be
called many times and manipulate large amounts of data, without the processing
and network overhead that comes with running on the client machine. Oracle9i includes the core JDK libraries such as java.lang, java.io, and so on.
Oracle9i supports client-side Java standards such as JDBC and SQLJ, and provides
server-side JDBC and SQLJ drivers that allow data-intensive Java code to run within the database.

"For background information about Java and how Oracle supports it, see Oracle9i
Database Concepts."

++ mcs Received on Thu Jul 22 2004 - 07:16:40 CDT