Re: stored procedures?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:22:09 GMT

Mike wrote:
> I have used oracle's pl/sql in the past for stored procedures. I
> was asked yesterday to explain what stored procedures are and I
> wondered are there other languages that are supported for stored
> procedures in oracle as they are in postgres? Meaning postgres
> supports it's internal procedural language, and java, and perl,
> and tcl. I know oracle supports its own internal procedural
> language and I think also java. Does it also support something
> like cobol?
>
> Mike

internal stored procedures are PL/SQL only. You can create sharable library external procedures that can be in any language (not scripting - but 3GL) as long as they can be a shared library/dll. TCL and Perl are Scripting languages that are not compiled. I have not worked a lot with Java, and do not recall off the top of my head if it can create a shared library/dll or not

a quick google search for "oracle external" results in several hits including: << http://www.hk8.org/old_web/oracle/prog2/ch21_03.htm >>

--
Michael Austin.
Consultant - Available.