Re: time attributable to FGAC rewrite

From: robert <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2004 07:05:14 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1089765107.12149_at_yasure>...
> robert wrote:
>
> > been looking through this group, and what docs i have, but can't
> > find an estimate/definitive measure of how much (additional) time
> > to execute an arbitrary query might be attributable to FGAC.
> >
> > from what i've read, oracle does lots of query re-writing as a matter
> > of course. one msg said 30% increase in response time, but
> > didn't provide anything further.
> >
> > assuming that such data is not published, but is known to be derivable;
> > any references on how to get that? yes, there is the brute
> > force approach: boot the machine, start the instance, run a query;
> > repeat, but add the FGAC policy. subtract.
> >
> > thanks,
> > robert
>
> No blanket percent increase is possible as what happens depends on
> what you've written. But from my experience the difference is small
> enough to be insignificant in most situations.
>
> Daniel Morgan

cool.

a priori, this is about what i expected. and one side effect is that by (substantially) reducing network traffic, the app will be faster from the user prespective. maybe just not quite as faster if it were all hard coded. yuck.

and i'll track down the 30% poster, and re-activate the thread with the question: 'did you find out where the 30% went??'

how to win friends and influence people.

thanks,
robert Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 09:05:14 CDT