Re: time attributable to FGAC rewrite

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:43:34 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> robert wrote:
>
> > been looking through this group, and what docs i have, but can't
> > find an estimate/definitive measure of how much (additional) time
> > to execute an arbitrary query might be attributable to FGAC.
> >

> No blanket percent increase is possible as what happens depends on
> what you've written. But from my experience the difference is small
> enough to be insignificant in most situations.

I'm interested in the 'insignificant'. The version 9 implementation of FGAC results in an anonymous block being executed to call the predicate function on every execution of a query that contains a table that is subject to a policy. I would have expected this to be quite expensive on a busy OLTP system - though probably ignorable on a DW/DSS system. Can you give us some idea of the scale and type of activity of the systems where you've tested it.