opinion solicited

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:32:07 -0500

Yesterday I made a presentation to a group of our developers. The subject was the use of bind variables to reduce parsing and latch waits. I presented several demos based on those presented in Tom Kyte's book, and provided coding examples for several different programmnig environments.

Later, one of the participants sent me a link to a website whose author acknowledged the problems of not using bind variables but appeard to be making a case that, in practice, the various coding environments (PL/SQL, java, etc.) took care of it for you. He (the wesite author) went on to give coding examples where - oh, gee, he was coding to use bind variables -- and saying that as long as you coded this way, the programming environment would just take care of it for you. I thought it was pretty misleading and gave the distinct impression to a casual reader that the programmer really didn't need to concern himself with the subject.

Link is at http://www.rittman.net/archives/000832.html

I'd be curious to hear other people's take. Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 07:32:07 CDT