Re: opinion solicited

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:22:26 GMT

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:me3te0h1o11p1m7pmqarlv0kk6a45j841v_at_4ax.com...
> Yesterday I made a presentation to a group of our developers. The
> subject was the use of bind variables to reduce parsing and latch
> waits. I presented several demos based on those presented in Tom
> Kyte's book, and provided coding examples for several different
> programmnig environments.
>
> Later, one of the participants sent me a link to a website whose
> author acknowledged the problems of not using bind variables but
> appeard to be making a case that, in practice, the various coding
> environments (PL/SQL, java, etc.) took care of it for you. He (the
> wesite author) went on to give coding examples where - oh, gee, he was
> coding to use bind variables -- and saying that as long as you coded
> this way, the programming environment would just take care of it for
> you. I thought it was pretty misleading and gave the distinct
> impression to a casual reader that the programmer really didn't need
> to concern himself with the subject.
>
> Link is at http://www.rittman.net/archives/000832.html
>
> I'd be curious to hear other people's take.

hmm .. I don't really agree that the statements in that article/blog are misleading. He did give an example where even in PL/SQL you can write SQL which will not utilize bind variables.
For Java/VB etc he says <quote>All of these APIs have built-in support for bind variables, and it's just a case of using this support rather than just concatenating a string yourself and submitting it to the database</quote>

Which pretty much states that if you do not use the built in support for bind variables then you are *not* using bind variables.

Anurag Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 09:22:26 CDT