Re: opinion solicited

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:09:01 GMT

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:me3te0h1o11p1m7pmqarlv0kk6a45j841v_at_4ax.com...
> Yesterday I made a presentation to a group of our developers. The
> subject was the use of bind variables to reduce parsing and latch
> waits. I presented several demos based on those presented in Tom
> Kyte's book, and provided coding examples for several different
> programmnig environments.
>
> Later, one of the participants sent me a link to a website whose
> author acknowledged the problems of not using bind variables but
> appeard to be making a case that, in practice, the various coding
> environments (PL/SQL, java, etc.) took care of it for you. He (the
> wesite author) went on to give coding examples where - oh, gee, he was
> coding to use bind variables -- and saying that as long as you coded
> this way, the programming environment would just take care of it for
> you. I thought it was pretty misleading and gave the distinct
> impression to a casual reader that the programmer really didn't need
> to concern himself with the subject.
>
> Link is at http://www.rittman.net/archives/000832.html
>
> I'd be curious to hear other people's take.

I think the author means well, but he is wrong in that you don't have to do anything to use them. You do. In Java's prepared statements you have to set the parameters. Other languages are similar. It is true that it is not difficult. He should have given a VB or Java example to clarify. Jim Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 09:09:01 CDT