Re: Tablespace design question, pls help..

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2004 15:10:39 -0700

xtanto_at_hotmail.com (Krist) wrote in message news:<cb48a3b.0407060044.34f00990_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> I am migrating data from SQL Server 2000 into Oracle 9i on AIX (using
> OMWB). I have checked that SQL data size is 17 GB.
>
> The question is about Tablespace design. For best performance, how
> should I create the tablespace :
>
> 10 DataFile @ 2 GB
> 20 DataFile @ 1 GB
> or any better options ?

It depends on your hardware layout. Many people habitually use 2G because of an old unix limitation. Whatever gets things spread out over the most disks and doesn't shoot you in the foot later with number-of-files limitations is good.

Google this group for SAME links and arguments.

Performance is usually most impacted by other things than tablespace layout. Bad SQL tends to be the primary problem when migrating from SQL Server (and pretty much any other time, too). See the Performance guide in the docs, as well as the various books recommended here.

Also see http://members.cox.net/oracleunix/readme-cdos.htm

> Thank you for your suggestion,
> xtanto

jg