Re: 9i on Windows 2000 Server Workgroup

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:04:03 GMT

fu manchu wrote:

> So I guess the choice is Oracle 9i or an antivirus program? Know any
> that don't interfer with Oracle?

Apologies for intejecting ... a few things to consider:

  1. A proper production environment will have a database server machine dedicated to that task. There should be limited need for AntiVirus if the machine does not have a user who accesses email, etc. (Even Microsoft recommends that a machine for their RDBMS be entorely dedicated to that task.)

<aside>
This supports one of the arguments for Linux as well - why pay the CPU and other resource penalty (by some estimate > 30% overhead) for the graphics subsytem. If graphics are required, then hop across using X-Windows. </aside>

2) Now that you have the listener working, try installing the AV program. I've found that AVs that some block or corrupt installation will merrily allow an existing program to work.

/Hans Received on Sat Jun 26 2004 - 20:04:03 CDT