Re: oracle9i preformance on WIndows Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:33:29 +0200

On 26 Jun 2004 10:59:01 -0700, premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote:

>My managemnt wants to use Windows servers instead of UNIX servers to
>save costs. LINUX is not an option because my data center does not support
>it. We are looking into buying HP's ProLiant G2 BL20p model of servers. It has
>2 CPU's. We will get maximum memory of 8GB.
>
>We may get 1 or 2 internal drives. My database is not that big ~10GB.
>However, 100 of users will be concurrently accessing it. Also, it will
>be used for OLTP as well as for reporting.
>
>I have not worked with Windows server earlier. Are there benchmarks avaiable
>for WIindows server vs HP UNIx servers. I have nothing against using Windows
>Servers, just want to make sure performnace will not be an issue.
>

>Thank you.
>
>Prem

Google is your friend as usual. Recently (IIRC Howard Rogers) conducted a comparative study between Linux and Windoze. Needless to say Linux was much faster.

Note also you need Windows Advanced Server to make use of any memory beyond 4 G at all, and Dead Connection Detection will not work, and prespawned servers will also not work.
You may be in for some unpleasant suprises. By design the Windows O/S has limited scalability unlike Unix.

Please make sure you have your management sign a letter you aren't responsible for any performance issues, which result from the platform swap.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA