Re: ORA-00911 on Oracle 10g DBCA during install

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:55:34 +1000

"Andreas Walter" <awaltx_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:cb52qv$rg4$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE...
> Hi there,
> I have recently tried to install Oracle 10g on Fedora Core 1
> and on Suse 9.0 ( I know, both aren't officially supported, but
> I've read many statements of people having succeeded in doing so),
> but on both operating systems, I get twice an ORA-00911 error during
> database creation via dbca. Database creation finishes with a startable
> database, but since I have further problems with the Enterprise Manager
> Database Control, I'm trying to figure out the reason for the
> ORA-00911s. Can any "wrong" character set settings be the reason?
> Any helpful idea will be much appreciated.
> Thanx,
> Andreas Walter.

It would be helpful if you, along with everyone else who posts these sorts of messages here, would get into the habit and courtesy of including the *complete* error message text instead of just an error number. Error numbers have to be looked up... do you think it appropriate to make anyone whose help you are seeking do work you could have obviated the need for simply by typing a little more in the first place?

ORA-00911 invalid character

Cause: Special characters are valid only in certain places. If special characters other than $, _, and # are used in a name and the name is not enclosed in double quotation marks ("), this message will be issued. One exception to this rule is for database names; in this case, double quotes are stripped out and ignored.

Action: Remove the invalid character from the statement or enclose the object name in double quotation marks.

Good luck
HJR Received on Sun Jun 20 2004 - 17:55:34 CDT