Re: ORA-00911 on Oracle 10g DBCA during install

From: Andreas Walter <awaltx_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:32:25 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> "Andreas Walter" <awaltx_at_gmx.de> wrote in message
>

>>Hi there,
>>I have recently tried to install Oracle 10g on Fedora Core 1
>>and on Suse 9.0 ( I know, both aren't officially supported, but
>>I've read many statements of people having succeeded in doing so),
>>but on both operating systems, I get twice an ORA-00911 error during
>>database creation via dbca. Database creation finishes with a startable
>>database, but since I have further problems with the Enterprise Manager
>>Database Control, I'm trying to figure out the reason for the
>>ORA-00911s. Can any "wrong" character set settings be the reason?
>>Any helpful idea will be much appreciated.
>>Thanx,
>>Andreas Walter.

> It would be helpful if you, along with everyone else who posts these sorts
> of messages here, would get into the habit and courtesy of including the
> *complete* error message text instead of just an error number. Error numbers
> have to be looked up... do you think it appropriate to make anyone whose
> help you are seeking do work you could have obviated the need for simply by
> typing a little more in the first place?
>
> ORA-00911 invalid character
>
> Cause: Special characters are valid only in certain places. If special
> characters other than $, _, and # are used in a name and the name is not
> enclosed in double quotation marks ("), this message will be issued. One
> exception to this rule is for database names; in this case, double quotes
> are stripped out and ignored.
>

> Action: Remove the invalid character from the statement or enclose the
> object name in double quotation marks.
>
> Good luck
> HJR

Yes, you're right - including the error message surely is helpful. I have just encountered this error one time or another using SQL*Plus and already knew what error is indicated by the humber, so I suppposed most poeple saw already the it. The core of the problem is: Since the error occurs during database creation with dbca, I don't know where I can find according SQL scripts to spot the error. Regards,
Andreas. Received on Mon Jun 21 2004 - 04:32:25 CDT