Re: database market share 2003

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2004 12:28:56 -0700

Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<40D27407.1000902_at_comcast.net>...
> Data Goob wrote:
>
> > Here dickhead, read and weep:
>
> Strangely enough, the IBM website didn't link this report that come out
> in the same month. Guess they haven't got round to it yet.
>
> http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=pr2004_06_03_112013
>
> Here's some excerpts from the press release
>
> According to IDC, the market continues to be dominated by Oracle, IBM,
> and Microsoft. As the leading vendors for 2003, these three companies
> control about three-quarters of the total market revenue. In 2003,
> Oracle achieved 39.8% market share, IBM achieved 31.3% and Microsoft 12.1%.
>
> "Oracle has preserved its first-place position in the market," said Carl
> Olofson, research director for IDC's Information Management and Data
> Integration Software service. "IBM has slipped slightly, with its growth
> coming mainly from customers' recommitment to mainframe DB2, and
> continued strong growth of mainframe DB2 tools for DBAs. Microsoft's
> growth is tapering in a manner consistent with the growth curve of a
> strong but maturing vendor."
>
> > This is not nearly as important as understanding that DB2 runs
> > the same code base across all platforms
>
> I don't think so - see http://tinyurl.com/2a3ss
>
> > and that Larry Ellison
> > uses SQL-Server on all the Oracle web sites.
>
> I don't think so - see
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.oracle.com
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=otn.oracle.com

Oh, so it is the linux servers that keep doing weird things like set off numerous "You are about to be redirected to a secure site" when going from tahiti to otn, until it finally gives the login page.

Thanks for beating me to the punch so I didn't have to try to remember "netcraft" :)

Liked the bad taste mpg too, got right past surfcontrol :-O

> > SQL-Server by
> > the way runs the same code base on alll platforms too.
>
> I don't think so - see
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp
>
> > Oracle
> > is dead, it's over for the big red one, less than half what DB2
> > did in the market.
>
> I don't think so - even the Gartner report (which only tracks new
> licence revenues, and then makes guesses on unreported revenue for all
> DB2 supported platforms, including the AS/400, shows Oracle doing a
> reported 2,299.3 million vs an IBM 2,518.8.
>
> 0.01% difference is a little less than half.
>
> > Oracle is old school, over and done.
>
> Right. Oracle's 360% growth on Linux (which is growing at 158% itself)
> is definately old school, definately over and done.
>
> MS growth on Linux ? - 0%.
> IBM's growth on Linux ? - a massive 29.1 points of marketshare decline.
>
> So what does goob actually mean ?

http://www.pseudodictionary.com/goob

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Without a shine, your shoe will die, if it does, you will cry. - A.