Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:48:03 GMT

Data Goob wrote:

> Here dickhead, read and weep:

Strangely enough, the IBM website didn't link this report that come out in the same month. Guess they haven't got round to it yet.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=pr2004_06_03_112013

Here's some excerpts from the press release

According to IDC, the market continues to be dominated by Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft. As the leading vendors for 2003, these three companies control about three-quarters of the total market revenue. In 2003, Oracle achieved 39.8% market share, IBM achieved 31.3% and Microsoft 12.1%.

"Oracle has preserved its first-place position in the market," said Carl Olofson, research director for IDC's Information Management and Data Integration Software service. "IBM has slipped slightly, with its growth coming mainly from customers' recommitment to mainframe DB2, and continued strong growth of mainframe DB2 tools for DBAs. Microsoft's growth is tapering in a manner consistent with the growth curve of a strong but maturing vendor."

I don't think so - see http://tinyurl.com/2a3ss

> and that Larry Ellison
> uses SQL-Server on all the Oracle web sites.

I don't think so - see
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.oracle.com http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=otn.oracle.com

> SQL-Server by
> the way runs the same code base on alll platforms too.

I don't think so - see
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp

> Oracle
> is dead, it's over for the big red one, less than half what DB2
> did in the market.

I don't think so - even the Gartner report (which only tracks new licence revenues, and then makes guesses on unreported revenue for all DB2 supported platforms, including the AS/400, shows Oracle doing a reported 2,299.3 million vs an IBM 2,518.8.

0.01% difference is a little less than half.

> Oracle is old school, over and done.

Right. Oracle's 360% growth on Linux (which is growing at 158% itself) is definately old school, definately over and done.

MS growth on Linux ? - 0%.
IBM's growth on Linux ? - a massive 29.1 points of marketshare decline.

So what does goob actually mean ? Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 23:48:03 CDT